Although sometimes confused with opticians and ophthalmologists, optometrists primarily care for eye health by providing in-depth examinations on a patient. They use the latest technologies and tools during eye exams to determine the health of a patient’s eye and the following steps to take to cure it.
Let’s take a deeper dive into what an optometrist does:
What exactly does an optometrist do?
Although they have different specialties compared to other optic professionals, their main roles include the following:
- Performing vision tests and eye exams in Calgary, which includes visual acuity tests, refraction assessments and visual field tests
- Prescribing and fitting eyeglasses and contact lenses based on the results from the test, usually consisting of nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism (an eye defect in which there is a distorted curving of the eyeball or lens)
- Offering vision therapy for individuals suffering from eye tracking issues
- Detecting diseases, injuries and disorders of the eyes. They can also help track diseases that are not related to the eyes, such as diabetes
When and how often should I see an optometrist in Calgary?
If it recommended that you visit your optometrist in Calgary NE once a year. This way, the doctor can inspect if your eyes have any problems in them.
However, if you are experiencing symptoms with your eyes (blurred vision, difficulty reading or seeing long-distance, a change in vision, eye pain or eye irritation such as redness and itching), then ideally it’s best if you visit your eye doctor as soon as possible.
Patients with eye problems, like cataract or glaucoma, or a health condition like diabetes, will have to visit their eye doctors regularly (once to twice a year) to ensure that their conditions do not worsen.
How To Prepare For An Eye Exam in Calgary
When it comes to visiting your optometrist in Calgary, make sure you bring the following:
- All the eyeglasses and contact lenses you use, including even drugstore readers and sunglasses
- The name and address of your primary doctor
- A list of all the current medications you use including eye drops
- A family history of eye conditions (if it is your first time)
- Your Alberta Health Card (as you might be entitled to coverage)
- Your vision insurance details (so you can direct bill the company)
- A list of the questions you want to ask your doctor
- If your appointment includes having your pupils dilated – most eye exams in Calgary do – then find another means of transportation. Bring a friend or family member to drive you home. It can be dangerous to drive if your eyes are dilated.
The better prepared you are for your optometrist appointment, the higher your chances of improving your eye health.
Optiko Eyewear is your place to get everything you need for your eyes. From eye exams to the finest assortment of designer frames, we can help you with everything you need. Staffed with highly trained Calgary optometrists, ready to help you with comprehensive eye exams and any eye conditions you’re facing. Once you’re happy, our frame stylists will help you find the pair that matches your style. We have an array of stunningly beautiful frames and glasses from premier eyewear brands from around the world. There is nothing we can’t do to help you! Contact us today: 403-457-7000 (Sunridge Mall) | 403-457-7001 (Market Mall)